Internal job postings not available for qualified returning candidate.

New Smyrna Beach, FL |

Hello,
As I can get a bit of my strength ( not fully recovered from disability but I am thinking accommodation request) and willing to return to my previous Company in the same position that I worked for in the past for about 11 years, I found out that internal job postings are not available for external candidates. I was let go in the past due to my disability and I am eligible for rehire according to the exit interview papers. Also, a letter from employer stated that if I cannot get back to work, my employment will be terminated but I will eligible to apply in the future yet, positions for which I am qualified for are not available for external applicants, only for internals. I know that there is no law requirement about job postings, is this a fair and nondiscriminatory hiring practice?

1. There is nothing unlawful about an employer limiting the pool of candidates for certain positions to current employees.

It may be that you do not need the employer to abandon or modify this policy. Under the circumstances of your prior employment, it may be that you can communicate with the company about your availability, capability and interest in returning. You may be able to get into a dialog with your former employer even without the target of a specific open position.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.