Skip to main content


Everett, WA |


Attorney Answers 3


That is a big question. If a person has their license suspended as a result of either a DUI conviction or an administrative action connected with a DUI arrest, that person may be eligible to apply for an ignition interlock license. A link to the requirements are posted at the bottom of this answer.
One must have an ignition interlock device installed in their vehicle, have high risk (also known as sr-22) insurance and apply to the DOL for the license.

Mark as helpful


It's difficult to answer your question without more detail. If you think there may have been changes to the Ignition Interlock License (IIL) that altered your driving privilege, I suggest you immediately contact the Washington State Department of Licensing at (360) 902-3900.

One change that became effective 1/1/11 is that folks who submitted to a breath/blood test at the time of arrest and who have entered a Deferred Prosecution in court for an alcohol related DUI no longer need the IIL. They still need the ignition interlock device for either 1, 5 or 10 years (RCW 46.20.720), but they will not need the IIL or SR-22. Hope that helps.

Mark as helpful


Hire a very good DWI Lawyer. Go to to find the best in your area.

Mark as helpful

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics