Interlock Device for motorcycle owner? (1st time dui 20 years old when i got my dui)

Asked about 1 year ago - Encino, CA

I got a DUI in September 2012 and I was 20 at the time and blew a 0.15. I got the usual first offender under 21 consequences (community service, fees, dui school, aa meetings, and license suspension for 1 year)

Now I completed EVERYTHING and I'm just waiting around for the 1 year suspension to finish which will end on January 6.

Now do I have to get an interlock device? I only have a motorcycle and don't own any cars. I live with my parents now, but in January I will be moving out and will be living on my own. How does this work? I don't want to wait another 5 months starting from january to get my license....is there a last resort option of getting a device on motorcycles?

So in general, how does the 'pilot' program work for motorcycle owners?

1. Troy Slaten

Pro

8

Answered . So here's the deal. And I wish it was more clear....

Because you were under 21 and suffered a "hard" one year suspension (no ability to get a restricted license) the DMV "may" not require the IID to get your license back. IF the DMV does say that you need an IID to re-instate your license, then you are SOL unless you can convince mom or dad to install it for 5 months in their car.

Motorcycles (aside from being very dangerous - Jewish Mother instinct) are specifically exempted from the IID law. See VC 23700(e). Unfortunately, unlike some other states that do have approved IID devices for motorcycles, CA does not.

In summary, I doubt DMV will require IID in your circumstance, but if it does, you need to comply.

2. Peter John Marek

6

Answered . There is no interlock for a motorcycle so DMV will give you other options. Call DMV MANDATORY ACTIONS 916-657-6625 and inquire. Hope this helps? good Luck.

3. Robert Laurens Driessen

5

Answered . Currently you cannot install an IID on a motorcycle.
    Robert Driessen

4. Andrew Stephen Roberts

Pro

5

Answered . No IID for motorcycles . Call Mandatory Actions unit.

Andrew Roberts (818) 597-0633/ (805) 496-7777
  5. Daniel M. Fox

5

Answered . There's no IID program for motorcycles. (You could offer to be the first!)
    If the DMV gave you a hard suspension on a 23136 basis (13353.3(b)(3)), then you're only option for shortening the suspension is 13353.8 - you're going to have to show "critical need" (12513.)
    Best of luck!

6. Derek Anthony Patrin

Pro

5

Answered . There is no way to do the interlock program on a motorcycle, so your options are very limited. Contact the California DMV to ask them if they have any ideas or other options for you.

7. Scott Thomas Stotz

1

Answered . I completely agree with my colleagues. You cannot get an IID installed on a motorcycle. Contact Mandatory Actions Unit of the DMV if you have further questions regarding your suspension.