Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress

Seattle, WA |

Can I sue my employer for Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress & file a claim with L & I for treatment? What is the statute for filing this type of lawsuit?

I'm not necessarily asking if I can specifically but rather if it is possible to sue for this. In my case management was made aware in writing and verbally on different occasions of my distress and did not correct the issue that was causing the distress. According to company policy the cause of my distress was in violation of several company policies. Management however did not want the corporate offices to become aware of any negativity in our office so policy was ignored and my distress dismissed. Management also caused further distress by repeatedly pressuring me to subject myself to the cause of my distress and also blaming me for the distress being present. Management told me not to speak to anyone about this situation. After going to HR about this I was terminated which caused me further distress.

In some very unusual cases, a worker can sue an employer for intentional infliction of emotional distress. In most cases, it is not covered. I've included a link to the rule that specifies which stressors cannot be the basis of an L&I claim.

Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice. It is merely intended to provide general information to aid the poster in finding answers to the problem posed. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. In most cases, it is best to contact an attorney directly to find answers to your problems.

More facts are needed to advise whether or not you have a claim.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at

You may need to speak with an employer lawyer and/or a personal injury attorney. Need a lot more facts.

The above is general information only and is not legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney until we sign a retainer agreement.

Not enough info. Organize your facts and paperwork, and consult with a local injury lawyer to discuss in detail.

More info needed.

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes