Insurance wants a police report filed against my boyfriend for driving (w/o my permisson) and getting in an accident in my car.

Asked about 2 years ago - Grand Rapids, MI

I took the bus to school and accidentally left my keys at home, my boyfriend drove my car without my knowledge and got in an accident. His license was suspended and they said they won't cover the repairs for that reason. I paid out of pocket and the only way I can get reimbursed is to file a police report saying my boyfriend stole my car. I don't want to cause any trouble to him but I'm wondering what the consequences would be for him if I do file the report.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Alan James Brinkmeier

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . He did commit the crime, so , making a claim on insurance (your insurance) seems to be the reason you'd want to avoid fraud.

    Time to step up and do the right thing.

  2. David J. McCormick

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The consequences would be that he will be charged with theft, and his defense was that he had your permission. Tell your boyfriend what your insurance company wants you to do, and ask for repayment. If he refuses, and if you want your money back, then go ahead and file the police report.

    Good luck.

    DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being... more
  3. Kevin Coluccio

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Did your boyfriend use your car without your permission on prior occasions? You may want to discuss this issue with an attorney prior to filing a police report.

  4. Scott J. Corwin


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with Mr. Coluccio. You would benefit greatly from consulting with an attorney to understand the ramifications of your actions.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

20,166 answers this week

2,587 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

20,166 answers this week

2,587 attorneys answering