Insurance wants a police report filed against my boyfriend for driving (w/o my permisson) and getting in an accident in my car.

Grand Rapids, MI |

I took the bus to school and accidentally left my keys at home, my boyfriend drove my car without my knowledge and got in an accident. His license was suspended and they said they won't cover the repairs for that reason. I paid out of pocket and the only way I can get reimbursed is to file a police report saying my boyfriend stole my car. I don't want to cause any trouble to him but I'm wondering what the consequences would be for him if I do file the report.

1. He did commit the crime, so , making a claim on insurance (your insurance) seems to be the reason you'd want to avoid fraud.

Time to step up and do the right thing.

2. The consequences would be that he will be charged with theft, and his defense was that he had your permission. Tell your boyfriend what your insurance company wants you to do, and ask for repayment. If he refuses, and if you want your money back, then go ahead and file the police report.

DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.

3. Did your boyfriend use your car without your permission on prior occasions? You may want to discuss this issue with an attorney prior to filing a police report.

4. I agree with Mr. Coluccio. You would benefit greatly from consulting with an attorney to understand the ramifications of your actions.