Insurance payout for death of daughter in car accidnet

Dekalb, IL |

My daughter was killed in a car accident in January 2007. I have not used an attorney and am dealing with the insurance companies myself. Company A is for the car that caused the accident, and Co B is for the car that my daughter was a passenger in. Co A has agreed to their policy maximum, and company B had agreed to their policy maximum for underinsurance. The dollar amount had been stated. Right after the accident I received $5,000 from my insurance and $1,000 from companies A & B for funeral expenses. the $5,000 is required by the state of Illinois. Now lawyers for Co B want to deduct the $7,000.00 from the amount that had been agreed upon. They are stating that they did not know about the $7,000 when their offer was made becasue I did not disclose it to them. I think that they should have know about it, especially seeing that they paid part of it, and that they shoud pay the full amount that I had agreed to. What do you think? Is this a breach of contract, and do I have a right to the full amount?

You should hire a wrongful death attorney or at the least consult with one. You may be leaving a great deal of money on the table.

You need a lawyer. The insurance company will do things in their interests only. They will not consider your interests. Only a good lawyer in the area of personal injury and wrongful death cases will get you the money you are entitled to.

I echo the advice of my colleagues. Find a Personal Injury attorney. The insuracne co. does not deal with layman on the same level.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Recommended articles about Personal injury