Skip to main content

Insurance payout for death of daughter in car accidnet

Dekalb, IL |

My daughter was killed in a car accident in January 2007. I have not used an attorney and am dealing with the insurance companies myself. Company A is for the car that caused the accident, and Co B is for the car that my daughter was a passenger in. Co A has agreed to their policy maximum, and company B had agreed to their policy maximum for underinsurance. The dollar amount had been stated. Right after the accident I received $5,000 from my insurance and $1,000 from companies A & B for funeral expenses. the $5,000 is required by the state of Illinois. Now lawyers for Co B want to deduct the $7,000.00 from the amount that had been agreed upon. They are stating that they did not know about the $7,000 when their offer was made becasue I did not disclose it to them. I think that they should have know about it, especially seeing that they paid part of it, and that they shoud pay the full amount that I had agreed to. What do you think? Is this a breach of contract, and do I have a right to the full amount?

Attorney Answers 3


You should hire a wrongful death attorney or at the least consult with one. You may be leaving a great deal of money on the table.

Mark as helpful


You need a lawyer. The insurance company will do things in their interests only. They will not consider your interests. Only a good lawyer in the area of personal injury and wrongful death cases will get you the money you are entitled to.

Mark as helpful


I echo the advice of my colleagues. Find a Personal Injury attorney. The insuracne co. does not deal with layman on the same level.

Mark as helpful

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics