Insurance for trustee of revocable living trust

Asked 6 months ago - New York, NY

Can I get insurance that would protect my personal assets if I were sued for breach of fiduciary duty in my capacity as trustee of a living trust? If so, where?

1. Donna R Blaustein

3

Answered . Speak to your insurance agent about obtaining insurance for a fiduciary. If you have concerns about handling your duties properly, I strongly suggest you consult a trust attorney to advise you of your obligations and, by doing everything properly, you have a far better chance of avoiding litigation for breach of fiduciary duty.

2. Ivette M Santaella

3

Answered . Hello,

I would recommend contacting your insurance broker and inquiring about errors and omissions insurance coverage for a fiduciary. You may also ask about the standard CGL form, CG 00 01, which provides for a trust to be a named insured, and trustees are also named insureds regarding their responsibilities as trustees.

3. John P Corrigan

1

Answered . Since it is a RLT then the grantor is probably in complete control and you ar merely named as a successor trustee since a grantor usually wants to be in complete control of their won trust. However, to the extent you are named as a current trustee as opposed toma successor trustee then you would be best served by seeking an indemnity and hold harmless from the trust grantor. Your risk is very small in a traditional RLT so if still worried you can procure a fiduciary laibility policy for peace of mind.

4. Michael Leo Potter

2

Answered . Yes, probably so. However, if the Trust's requirements are too much for you, you can always resign and let the next successor trustee designated take over. But speak to a broker first about E & O insurance. Good Luck!