Inmate was on house tooken of house arrest,for an out of county warrant.probation granted bail out.

Asked over 4 years ago - Hollister, CA

I.N.S. put a hold on can this individual be bailed out.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. John M. Kaman


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . The INS is now referred to as ICE or Immigration and Customs Enforcement. There is no way to bail around an ICE hold while you are in local custody. After your state case is resolved, ICE has 48 hours to pick you up. If they don't you should be able to get out of jail without bail however some Sheriffs simply hold inmates as long as possible for ICE to pick them up.

    Once you are in ICE custody you can apply for an immigration bond which may be granted depending on the circumstances of your case and the state criminal charges that resulted in a hold.

    This whole issue is too complicated for you to handle alone. You need an immigration attorney familiar with immigration court procedures.

  2. Judith Michael Fouladi

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . If there's a hold on the individual, he'll remain in custody on that matter until the hold is lifted. Bail should be set on any other matters so that he gets custody credits on those other matters. He needs to consult with an attorney (or public defender) to determine whether his O.R. status should be revoked on any other case.

Related Topics

Immigration court

Immigration court is a division of the US Department of Justice that oversees and decides cases involving immigrants facing deportation.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,264 answers this week

2,971 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,264 answers this week

2,971 attorneys answering