Inmate fell ill in jail and died a few days later at the hospital. Family suspects neglect from the jail.

Murrieta, CA |

Family member became ill and was admitted to the hospital while he was incarcerated. Family was never notified that he was in ICU and was in a coma by the time the family was notified by a nurse at the hospital. Family suspects neglect by the jail for a couple of reasons. Inmate had called his wife on 12/29/12 and was perfectly fine didn't mention that he felt sick. 5 days later on 1/3/13 he is admitted to the hospital and according to doctors he was in and out of consiousness. On 1/9/13 he died. According to doctors he had kidney failure, liver damage, diabetes and a stroke. How could the jail medical dept. not know that he was diabetic? Don't they do a health check when a inmate is booked? We have so many unanswered questions and need to know what type of Atty can handle this type case.

1. You to consult with a civil rights attorney who can evaluate whether the jail was negligent or not. You should act quickly as there are deadlines in these cases that pass quickly.

2. I agree that a civil rights attorney is who you need. Also be aware that when going against the government there are very shortened statutes of limitations and government claims requirements. So act quickly to get representation. Also there are governmental immunities that make a case like this difficult. However, well worth pursuing and looking into. Good luck to you.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. The above answer is for general information only and is based on the information you posted. Every case is fact dependent, so to get a thorough analysis of your situation, you will need to consult face to face with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where the incident took place. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.

3. A Civil Rights attorney. Do so soon as there are rigid time constraints.