Skip to main content

Injered the thumb finger,please help

Orlando, FL |

Good afternoon,my wife injured her thumb finger last year (on August)while going to work on bicycle.It happened at hotel area,right before she clocked in. We went to doctor,she took some medicines and cream to apply on it.But it's been a long time,she can't still move her finger,it hurt if she does.
If we hire attorney can s/he help us to cover her medicals? Is hotel should cover her medical,even she didn't have insurance?

-By the way she has been laid off since 4 month. -Hotel was doing renovations when she injured her finger in hotel area,after the injury hotel fixed driveway. Thanks for Your help

Attorney Answers 7

  1. In order to answer your question,I would need to know more about the facts of the injury.

  2. I am sorry your wife was injured and in pain. A lot more information is needed. How did your wife sustain her injury. Was she hit by a vehicle? Did she fall on her own? Was there a defect on the hotel property? Was she already working (even though she was not yet clocked in)? Is there a police report? There may be insurance available that you do not even know about. I suggest you gather all of your wife's medical records, any investigation reports available and make an appointment with a competent Personal Injury Attorney. The initial consultation is usually free.

    Good luck.

    DISCLAIMER - Any information provided is not legal advice. There is no attorney client relationship created in this group discussion. Do not rely on informal comminucation in this forum as legal advice. If you wish to obtain legal advice you should hire an attorney in your State.

  3. If this is a work-related injury, it would be covered by workers comp. If not, she would have to prove negligence on the part of the hotel before she would be able to recover money. Not enough facts here to really analyze it. There are good lawyers near you, call a personal injury lawyer.

  4. The question is whether this falls within workers' compensation, which would cover her medical bills and possibly some amount of disability. There is a doctrine called the "going and coming rule" that may apply to this situation and the rules will vary from state to state. You should consult a good Orlando workers' compensation attorney to evaluate the facts and advise you regarding your rights.

    Good luck.

  5. Agree with counsel, more info is needed and you should consult a local lawyer to see where you stand.

    In most instances, someone commuting to work is not "in the course and scope of employment" and typically not covered workers compensation. Your wife's case may have some unique facts which may qualify as an exception, so you should consult a lawyer.

    Good luck,

    DISCLAIMER: We do not have an attorney-client relationship. Only those persons who have a signed written fee agreement and authority to represent with me is an actual client. This response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than my educated opinion or viewpoint. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. I recommend you consult a lawyer if you want professional assurance that this information, and your interpretation of it, is appropriate to your particular situation. Do not act on any information in this response without seeking legal advice from an attorney in your area.

  6. Consult with a local lawyer asap. She may be covered by work comp. If not, an atty can help determine if this is a viable case.

  7. Need much more info. Best bet is to retain a personal injury lawyer to investigate. Find one with a low contingency fee, less than 30%, so she is left with the lion's share of any potential settlement, not the lawyer. Good luck.

    Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics