Initially had to pay out-of-pocket for my treatment due to a car accident. Asked for a detail receipt. Questions...

Asked over 2 years ago - Houston, TX

In order to get seen by doctor, at first, I had to agree to pay out-of-pocket. On one bill, it was nothing much, just above a couple hundred. The detail receipt has billing over a thousand dollars. But a "self pay adjustment from patient" that makes the difference of what I paid against the bill. If I file this to a claim, I expect to get only what I paid... but does the doc get the adjustment? Just wondering... I still have to look through all my bills... I thought since no insurance was used, I paid for the service in full on the day the service was rendered - or am I mistaken, and this will circle back to me and I will get billed later.

1. John Gus Zgourides

4

Answered . Texas tort reform includes the "paid or incurred" statute. You can only recover the amounts you actually "paid or incurred". The health care provider may or may not be entitled to "circle back" depending on what you signed. Consult a local personal injury trial lawyer.

John Zgourides
    www.zgourides.com

2. Steven Mark Sweat

Pro

5

Answered . You should retain an attorney in TX to assist you with this.

3. Sheadyn Reaves Rogers

3

Answered . Your experienced personal injury lawyer should be able to figure this out with no problems. I assume you have one. If not, you need to hire one ASAP.

Good luck to you.