Initially had to pay out-of-pocket for my treatment due to a car accident. Asked for a detail receipt. Questions...

Asked over 2 years ago - Houston, TX

In order to get seen by doctor, at first, I had to agree to pay out-of-pocket. On one bill, it was nothing much, just above a couple hundred. The detail receipt has billing over a thousand dollars. But a "self pay adjustment from patient" that makes the difference of what I paid against the bill. If I file this to a claim, I expect to get only what I paid... but does the doc get the adjustment? Just wondering... I still have to look through all my bills... I thought since no insurance was used, I paid for the service in full on the day the service was rendered - or am I mistaken, and this will circle back to me and I will get billed later.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. John Gus Zgourides

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Texas tort reform includes the "paid or incurred" statute. You can only recover the amounts you actually "paid or incurred". The health care provider may or may not be entitled to "circle back" depending on what you signed. Consult a local personal injury trial lawyer.

    John Zgourides

    My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice.... more
  2. Steven Mark Sweat


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You should retain an attorney in TX to assist you with this.

    Nothing in this communication should be construed as creating an attorney client relationship. This is for... more
  3. Sheadyn Reaves Rogers

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Your experienced personal injury lawyer should be able to figure this out with no problems. I assume you have one. If not, you need to hire one ASAP.

    Good luck to you.

    The information above is for informational purposes only, is not intended as legal advice, and does not create an... more

Related Topics

Personal injury

If you suffer a personal injury as the result of the actions or negligence of another, you may seek financial compensation for physical or emotional damages.

Personal injury settlement

Personal injury settlements are agreements made between the two parties of an injury lawsuit. They outline the compensation that an injured party receives.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,496 answers this week

3,054 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,496 answers this week

3,054 attorneys answering