Initially had to pay out-of-pocket for my treatment due to a car accident. Asked for a detail receipt. Questions...

Houston, TX |

In order to get seen by doctor, at first, I had to agree to pay out-of-pocket. On one bill, it was nothing much, just above a couple hundred. The detail receipt has billing over a thousand dollars. But a "self pay adjustment from patient" that makes the difference of what I paid against the bill. If I file this to a claim, I expect to get only what I paid... but does the doc get the adjustment? Just wondering... I still have to look through all my bills... I thought since no insurance was used, I paid for the service in full on the day the service was rendered - or am I mistaken, and this will circle back to me and I will get billed later.

You should retain an attorney in TX to assist you with this.

Nothing in this communication should be construed as creating an attorney client relationship. This is for informational purposes only. Attorney will take no action on your behalf unless and until a written retainer agreement is signed. There are strict time deadlines on filing claims and, as such, you are advised to consult with and retain an attorney immediately to file such claims timely or you will lose any right to recovery.

Your experienced personal injury lawyer should be able to figure this out with no problems. I assume you have one. If not, you need to hire one ASAP.

Good luck to you.

The information above is for informational purposes only, is not intended as legal advice, and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Texas tort reform includes the "paid or incurred" statute. You can only recover the amounts you actually "paid or incurred". The health care provider may or may not be entitled to "circle back" depending on what you signed. Consult a local personal injury trial lawyer.

John Zgourides
www.zgourides.com

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

I did not sign paperwork, except for the credit card receipt.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Recommended articles about Personal injury