Skip to main content

Initial case management conference

Moorhead, MN |

I have a court hearing coming up, there's no kids involved, no assests.nothing at all... should i have a attorney to speak on my behalf? or can I go ahead and Represent myself?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Even when folks don't have a lot of property, divorces can be complicated. I suggest that you at least contact an attorney to get an opinion on what you should do.

  2. You can do either, however an attorney will help you through the process and will make sure you advocate the best you can for your rights. Without children and assets, it is usually much more straightforward, however. If you spouse has an attorney that would also be a situation to get an attorney.

    Disclaimer: This email message in no way creates an attorney client relationship between Majeski Law, LLC and the recipient. Responses are general in nature and do not constitute legal advice. You should consult a lawyer regarding any specific legal matter.

  3. The answer to your question depends entirely upon whether you know what you're doing. If you choose to represent yourself, the court isn't going to give you any breaks in following the rules, etc. It's like fixing your car - if you're a mechanic, then you don't need to take it to a shop and have someone else do it. If you're not, then you should probably hire one. The same is true with the law.

    We can be reached at 507.334.0155 (Toll Free: 888.777.5009). Our web address is: www. Answers on Avvo are not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - they are to be considered only general responses to hypothetical scenarios posed by the questioner. For specific legal advice, please consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction. No information contained herein should be construed as a solicitation for business, an offer to perform legal services in any jurisdiction in which the attorneys of Corbin Law Office are not licensed, or the dissemination of legal advice. No creation of an attorney-client relationship should be assumed or implied. We are a debt relief agency. Corbin Law Office helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the bankruptcy code.

  4. The Initial Case Management Conference is designed to give the Judge an overview of the cae and determine how it proceeds from that point. this includes determinations to whether mediation or early neutral financial evaluations are necessary; what type of discovery occurs and the extent of discovery; and setting timelines for discovery, and pretrial hearings.

    If you do not understand what you are doing or what you are agreeing to, or if improper deadlines are set or processes chosen, your case can be dramatically impacted. As a result, you would bes wise to have legal representation.

    For a FREE consultation call 612.240.8005. We offer unbundled services such as coaching and document drafting assistance if you are looking to represent yourself in the proceeding

    Disclaimer: Nothing in this email message creates an attorney client relationship absent a retainer agreement with this office. Any response to email inquiries should be considered general in nature and should not be relied upon as legal advice. You should always consult a lawyer in your state regarding your specific legal matter. Visit online at

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics