Initial case management conference

Asked almost 2 years ago - Moorhead, MN

I have a court hearing coming up, there's no kids involved, no assests.nothing at all... should i have a attorney to speak on my behalf? or can I go ahead and Represent myself?

1. Christian Ryan Peterson

2

Answered . Even when folks don't have a lot of property, divorces can be complicated. I suggest that you at least contact an attorney to get an opinion on what you should do.

2. Michael J Corbin

2

Answered . The answer to your question depends entirely upon whether you know what you're doing. If you choose to represent yourself, the court isn't going to give you any breaks in following the rules, etc. It's like fixing your car - if you're a mechanic, then you don't need to take it to a shop and have someone else do it. If you're not, then you should probably hire one. The same is true with the law.

3. Matthew Thomas Majeski

Pro

1

Answered . You can do either, however an attorney will help you through the process and will make sure you advocate the best you can for your rights. Without children and assets, it is usually much more straightforward, however. If you spouse has an attorney that would also be a situation to get an attorney.

4. Maury Devereau Beaulier

1

Answered . The Initial Case Management Conference is designed to give the Judge an overview of the cae and determine how it proceeds from that point. this includes determinations to whether mediation or early neutral financial evaluations are necessary; what type of discovery occurs and the extent of discovery; and setting timelines for discovery, and pretrial hearings.

If you do not understand what you are doing or what you are agreeing to, or if improper deadlines are set or processes chosen, your case can be dramatically impacted. As a result, you would bes wise to have legal representation.

For a FREE consultation call 612.240.8005. We offer unbundled services such as coaching and document drafting assistance if you are looking to represent yourself in the proceeding