Skip to main content

Inherited a home in OR which I know own with 2 other psychotic siblings. Can I force a sale living in CO?

Colorado Springs, CO |

My father past away in April 2009 in Medford Oregon. The trustee for the estate just sent out a final accounting for the estate. In this accounting, I am 1/3 owner of 3 properties. 1 in Medford, OR which is still listed in the estate. 40 acre parcel and a additional cabin in CA. These 2 properties have already been transferred into all three of our names on the deed. Being that I live in CO and only have a few years to live (fighting a brain tumor) I have no interest in these properties. Did I mention that my 2 siblings are CRAZY and will do anything to make life miserable. What are my options to get out of these property deals? And, NO they will not even talk to me via text, call, FB ....nothing. In reality, how hard is it to force a sale both in OR and CA from CO?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. You will want to repost this question in California and Oregon. You will need to work with attorneys licensed in these jurisdictions.

    You can reach Harkess & Salter LLC by phone or email. Stephen Harkess is an attorney licensed in the state and federal courts of Colorado. This answer is for general information only and does not create an attorney client relationship between Stephen Harkess or Harkess & Salter LLC and any person. You should schedule a consultation with an attorney to discuss the specifics of your legal issues.

  2. Mr. Harkess is exactly correct. You will need to get attorneys in OR and CA to work on this case.

    The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to be legal advice. Mr. Leroi answers questions on Avvo because he strongly believes in public service from his years as a judge, magistrate, and prosecutor. If you need to ask any follow up questions because my answer did not fully address your question, feel free to call Chris or post an additional question. Thank you.

  3. I agree with my colleagues. You are looking for an attorney who can assist you with a "partition action." Hopefully, your siblings will agree to cooperate with you, in order to avoid the need for court proceedings. If they do not, partition will accomplish what you want to do. It is a court process, however, so it will be much more expensive and a huge hassle, that it would be better for all of you to avoid. Perhaps, once you have hired an attorney, your siblings will realize you are serious and they will decide to cooperate.

    James Frederick

    ***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!

Wills and estates topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics