Skip to main content

Inheritance w/ sibling from foreign death that requires paperwork & red tape. Signed away foreign claims. Now won't split.

Bakersfield, CA |

- Both US citizens
- I signed away all rights and claims to inheritance under foreign law (easier to get, I don't understand language, culture, etc.)
- Have plenty of email evidence that we were going to split the inheritence

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You need to sit down with an attorney and review the emails. The hard part is it sounds like the money is in another country. You will probably need representation in the US and the foreign country.


You do not provide enough information for us to give you much of an answer. Pretend that we know absolutely NOTHING about what you are talking about. Ignoring the foreign assets, (since you have agreed to give them up?), what is left in the US? Why will the other heir not split the US assets, if you have given up the foreign ones? This does not make sense. What is the problem?

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!


Agree with other attorneys. There is not enough information.

Mr.Scalise may be reached at 805-244-6850 or by email ( My responses to questions posted here intended as helpful legal information not legal advice. The information I post does not create an attorney-client relationship. Mr. Scalise is licensed to practice law in California. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state, and retain him/her. Mr. Scalise provides “unbundled” services for specific assistance with a specific issue.O work with clients throughout California.

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer