Inheritance Tax Division of PA question

Scranton, PA |

I'm executor for my sister's estate. I recieved an appraisement in February indicating that $5000 in inheritance taxes were due. I appealed this by letter in March and have not heard a decision from the Inheritance Tax Division as of yet. I sent it certified, so I know they received it.

Would it be kosher to call and ask about the appeal? Or should I just wait? I'm concerned because it seems like it's been a long time. Perhaps this is the way it is.

Hello ...

If all was timely filed within the 60 days (not 2 months) and the Petition was properly done (as it seems to be by your thoroughness), I would give it a little bit more time.

My experiences with the Pennsylvania Department of Revenue have always been extremely pleasant and cordial.

I wouldn't sweat it.

Good luck in the appeal.

~ ~ ~
John B. Whalen, Jr., J.D., LL.M. is an AV Peer Review Attorney and Counselor at Law, is listed in The Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers, is Avvo Rated 10.0 Superb, is a recipient of the Legum Magister (LL.M.) Post-Doctorate Degree in Taxation (from the Villanova University School of Law), and is a recipient of the American Jurisprudence Award in Wills, Trusts, and Estates (from the Widener University School of Law).

John B. Whalen, Jr., Esq. provides free initial home consultations seven (7) days per week, including all evenings, weekends, and holidays, from 7:00 AM to 10:00 PM.

T = 888-845-0823
T = 610-407-0220
E =
W =
B =
A =
M =

Although we invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and electronic mail, please remember that this information is for informational purposes only, and does not create and does not create an attorney-client relationship. This website is not intended to be the rendering of legal advice for specific cases, you should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel, and you should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation.

Thanks Mr. Whalen.

John B. Whalen Jr.

John B. Whalen Jr.

You are very welcome. My pleasure. If you need any further guidance, don't hesitate to call.

Yes. I highly recommend discussing the matter with the revenue agent. Even if you can't come to an agreement with regard to the amount owed, the agent will tell you the Departments position regarding the matter. This will help you in your appeal.

On a side note, I suggest that you contact an attorney. It would be helpful for an attorney to review the REV-1500 and the Appraisement to determine why the Department believes additional taxes are owed. This should not be that expensive and will be worth the money.

Good Luck.

This answer does not, nor is it intended to, create an attorney-client relationship or constitute attorney advertising. Rather, it is offered solely for information purposes. Since the facts of each case are different, it is critical to consult with qualified counsel with whom information can be shared and assessed under an attorney-client privilege, so that competent advice can be obtained on which you can make informed decisions.

I agree with both of the other responders. It is not at all uncommon for it to take between 6-12 months after filing to hear anything. I would reccomend calling and they will be more than happy to speak with you and help you. I still reccomend speaking with a local attorney who can further guide you in your path to wrapping up the inheritance taxes.

If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer. It’s easy and appreciated. This answer does not create an attorney/client relationship and is for informational purposes only. More importantly, the information contained in this answer should not be relied on without first consulting with an attorney who practices in the related area in the related jurisdiction.

Tax law topics

Recommended articles about Tax law