Inheritance from a Grandfather

Asked over 1 year ago - Lynn Haven, FL

My Grandfather lived in PA but passed. He owned a second house that his care taker was staying in and he said she could stay there until she dies. Well she passed. During the original arrangements my Grandfather said once that house was sold his 4 children would split the proceeds once all legal fees where paid. My mother being one of the 4 had passed before the house was sold. Once the house was sold the Lawyer involved gave her spouse (#2) the check for her portion of the inheritance from the sale. My questions are, shouldn't that Lawyer have contacted me? The way I read PA law is my mom and her husband had nothing to do with that property so PA surviving spouse law should not be involved. My two brothers and I should have split that money correct? Thanks.

I also have a letter from the Lawyer discussing with her spouse that he will send him the check and that the spouse should cut the other checks. How can that Lawyer do that?

1. Marian Audrey Lindquist

4

Answered . All any of the lawyers here can do is speculate without seeing the documents. I speculate that your mother became an owner upon your grandfather's death. When she passed she left her estate to her husband, and that's how he got the check. But I am speculating. I agree with the other attorneys, take your documents to a lawyer so she can read them and give you the correct answer.

2. Celia R Reed

3

1

Best Answer

Answered . The result depends on whether your grandfather left a will instructing what would happen if one of his children predecessed him whether the estate passed by intestacy. Under the second scenario you would inherit but possibly not under the first. Consult with a probate attorney to determine if the distribution was correct.

3. Carol Anne Johnson

3

Answered . Since there are differences, state to state, in Probate laws, you may want to repost in PA so that a lawyer that is versed in that law can respond.

4. John P Corrigan

2

Answered . Attorney Reed is absolutely correct. You need to see Grandpa's will to obtain the answers to your questions. Then seelittle competent counsel to explore your options.