Skip to main content

Inheritance exempt from back owed child support?

Winona, MN |

My aunt, along with my mom and 5 other siblings are going to be receiving the inheritance from my grandma and grandpa's estate. My grandma died last year, everything went to my grandpa. He had everything put into a trust; we are a blended family. My aunt was married to his son. He owes thousands in child support, and it just so happens, there is something in the trust that states "no money shall be used to pay child support and whatever else. How can this be legal, and how can they not go after it when it gets into his hands? Thank you

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


The Will provision is not effectuive once the money has been received. Any financial resource that is controlled by the obligor may be applied to child support arrears.

CALL 612-240-8005 for a Consultation. Disclaimer: Nothing in this email message creates an attorney client relationship absent a retainer agreement with this office. Any response to email inquiries should be considered general in nature and should not be relied upon as legal advice. You should always consult a lawyer in your state regarding your specific legal matter. Visit online at

Craig Edgar Shriver

Craig Edgar Shriver


I agree with Mr. Beaulier's answer completely. For clarification purposes only, I just want to note that he most certainly meant "effective" instead of "effectuive" when referring to the will provision in question.


I am a bit confused as to whether you want the money to go to child support arrears or don't want it to be used for child support arrears. In any event if you are wanting to see the money collected, the person who the money is owed to should contact a family law attorney experienced in child support collections to create a plan to collect this money. This person should not wait until the payor/obligor receives the money to contact someone. There needs to be a plan in place. Most attorneys, including myself offer free consultations.

I appreciate your endorsements! If you "agree," or found this response "helpful," please mark it as so. The Law Offices of Sara M. G. Rojas offers free consultations by phone or in person. To schedule one today call 612-206-3722 or email me at Disclaimer: Nothing in this response constitutes legal advice or creates an attorney-client relationship. You should always consult with a local attorney regarding your specific legal circumstances. Answers posted on Avvo are intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation about your specific legal issues, with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. You should not rely solely upon this website, or other resources which may be linked to an answer in addressing your legal issues. Questions and answers, or other postings to the Avvo site, are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo Terms of Use are set forth at . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of Minnesota and the U.S. District of Minnesota. Any general information I provide about non-Minnesota laws should be verified with an attorney licensed to practice in your state.


This is a tricky question. Trusts can be set up such that the person has restricted access to the money, but it's not legally considered "their money". I know that sounds weird, but many trusts are set up that way for the express purpose of doing what it's doing (restricting the ability to force the money to be used for child support). I would consult a family law attorney in your area to review the documents and see if there is a way to breach the trust instrument and access the funds, but don't get your hopes up.

Disclaimer: This email message in no way creates an attorney client relationship between Majeski Law, LLC and the recipient. Responses are general in nature and do not constitute legal advice. You should consult a lawyer regarding any specific legal matter.

Child support topics

Recommended articles about Child support

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer