Information regarding Durable Power of Attorney

Asked about 1 year ago - San Diego, CA

I am in California. I have been caring for an elderly friend/neighbor with mild dementia. It is not Alzheimer's at this point so she is fairly competant. We have discussed POA and she is agreeable. I already help her with paying her bills (her accounts, she writes the checks), grocery shopping, doctors appointments, etc. I want to make sure I have everything in the POA. I believe I do, but does POA (after filed with the bank) give me authority to obtain bank statements, cashier's checks (for rent), withdraw money, etc.?

1. Charles Adam Shultz

4

Answered . Both attorneys are correct. Be cautious. This could turn into no good deed goes unpunished. If you are too involved in the process, you could be accused of financial elder abuse. You should encourage your friend to seek out the assistance of independent counsel. Rosemary Meagher-Leonard is in San Diego and on Avvo.

2. Steven M Zelinger

Pro

4

1

Answered . WIthout seeing the POA it is not possible to say if it is done properly. Also, banks can be quite picky about these things. The bigger issue for you is that you are a non-family member preparing legal documents for another person - this could be considered unauthorized practice of law. Also, as a non-family member your actions will be more closely scrutinized. I would advise that the elderly person hire their own attorney to prepare all the appropriate documents so that the attorney can assess competence and that way the person can decide without you present if they wish for you to be POA. It is best to be safe than sorry.

3. Joseph Michael Pankowski Jr

2

Answered . I agree with Attorney Zelinger. Please have your friend meet with an experienced estate planning lawyer to prepare a proper Power of Attorney, as well as any other documents she may needs. Since she has mild dementia, time is of the essence. Good luck to you and your friend.