Information I need to include on my immigration DS-260

Asked 7 months ago - Berkeley, CA

I won the Dv2015 and filed the DS-260 Application . My last name in passport is Mahmoud . However my last name in high school certificate and university certificates is Mahmoud Ali because my country uses a different way when it comes to last names from the USA . They use the first 4 names at times or 5 names at other times . So my name in passport is mentioned in 4 first names while in graduation certificates it is used in 5 names form . ! I want to include this information but do not know how ?!

Attorney answers (2)

  1. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Normally your birth record/certificate controls. After that, if the birth record is unclear, the passport controls ... school records have little value.

    Have you considered hiring an attorney to help you?

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more
  2. Hetinder Singh Gill


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You should consider hiring an attorney. The inconsistency in the name may be explained with an affidavit and attaching supporting documents including school records.

    Raja S. Gill | Attorney At Law | Gill Law Group Disclaimer: Answers/information provided on this site general... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Green cards

A green card is a legal document which provides proof that the owner is a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

17,227 answers this week

2,321 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

17,227 answers this week

2,321 attorneys answering