Informal Marriage vs Company Policy. My wife and I have a informal marriage certificate from the county clerks office.

Asked 7 months ago - Houston, TX

My wife and I have a informal marriage certificate from the county clerks office. The insurance company does not have a problem with it but the company I work for states it is in their corporate charter that they do not honor common law marriages. I live in Texas. I explained that we are married and have the same rights as a formally married couple. Is this correct? Can they discriminate against us because of how we got married?

1. Fran Brochstein

3

Answered . No. Your marriage is as valid as any other. I got married this way in August & it's not ever been a problem.

Their attorney needs to read the Texas Family Code regarding your marriage.

If you guys split it, you will have to file for a divorce -- like any other married couple. You cannot terminate your marriage without a divorce because the State of Texas considers you married.

I hope this helps.

2. Mario L. Vasquez

Pro

3

Answered . I agree with Ms. Brochstein's response. However, I believe that this is the second post by you on this issue. If you have explained these facts to the employer and they refuse to provide whatever you seek (insurance???), you need to consult with an attorney to consider your options.

3. Erick Masten Platten

Pro

1

Answered . It's as valid as any other marriage.

Sincerely,

Erick Platten

Platten Law Office

Avvo lawyers donate their time to answer questions on this forum. If one of the answers is helpful to you please indicate so by choosing the best answer or answer as helpful.