Skip to main content

Indiana my grandchildren are in foster care dad is in jail and mom does drugs

West Chicago, IL |

Mom has told her attorney That she wanted the kids place with me . . I have A felony on my record from a long time ago . Is that going to be a problem it been like 18 years ago . . The kids have lived with me a lot before they were place with dad now in foster care what my chances of placement ?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. You need to speak with an Indiana attorney if you live in Indiana and are looking to take guardianship of your grandchildren who are in foster care. Please report your question using an Indian location so more Indiana attorneys will take notice.

    If this were an Illinois case, your felony conviction could be a problem, but not necessarily. More facts would be necessary before it could be determined one way or the other.

    Please consider consulting with an attorney who practices in the county where you or the children reside or at the very least discussing this matter with your daughter's attorney.

  2. You need to consult with an Indiana attorney who is famillar with juvenile court proceedings. It is always possible. I would not rule it out.

    IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about.

  3. In Illinois DCFS will not place the children with you if you have a criminal history, no matter how old. Since the children are already in the care of DCFS, they now make the call about who the children will live with. Indiana DCFS might have different rules so you should consult and attorney in Indiana who knows about DCFS and abuse and neglect cases.

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics