Indiana, car accident while driving a friend's uninsured car. (please see details)

Indianapolis, IN |

I was in a car accident while driving an friend's uninsured car; however, I was not at fault and there are two witnesses that told the police the other driver was at fault. The vehicle which rear ended and totaled my friend's car was a company owned car, will I get any compensation? If I am eligible for compensation, who should I contact? Will this affect my friend's license? will my or her license be suspended? Will her insurance rate on other vehicles go up?

Double post - see my prior answer.

This is the same question asked and answered previously.

Mr. Crosner is licensed to practice law in California and has been practicing law in California since 1978. The response herein is general legal and business analysis.. It is not intended nor construed to be "legal advice" but rather it is analysis, and different lawyers may analyze this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

If you are not at fault, you should be ale to recover. This would not impact either your license or your friend's license. Consult an attorney in the area right away as you have important duties to fulfill right away.

If you were not at fault then you could potentially have a claim if you were injured. Seek a local Indianapolis attorney to discuss this matter. Good luck.

Randy Sevenish is licensed to practice law in the State of Indiana. The laws of your jurisdiction may differ and thus this answer is for informational and educational purposes only and is not to be considered as legal advice. Since all facts are not addressed in the question, this answer could change depending on other significant and important facts. This answer in no way constitutes an attorney-client relationship. Please speak with a local attorney to discuss your potential legal issue.

Asked and answered.

Since it was your unthinking friend who placed you in her uninsured vehicle, I question why you are so concerned as to whether or not her license will be suspended or her Nonexistent insurance rate will increase. Your friend should not be loaning a vehicle which is not insured.

If you were personally injured, you may be entitled to compensation.You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on Avvo.com dealing with many of the issues you are now facing. The Guides can be accessed through my profile page on Avvo.com.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Who is legally responsible for an accident does not depend upon whether an individual is insured. However, your license may be suspended unless you were insured under some other policy of auto liability insurance. Your friend's license should not be affected, nor should this accident affect their insurance rates on their vehicles. The insurer for the company owned car should pay for the property damage and loss of use for your friend's car. There is a blog article on my website regarding property damage claims. If you were physically injured in the crash, you are entitled to compensation. The amount due will depend upon the severity of your injuries.