Index number inexistent on the summons and complaint

New York, NY |

Hello,
tried to enter the supreme court e-courts (website)as a defendant (s&c received today) the index number mentioned on the S&C does not exist.
What does it mean for me?

1. You must answer the Complaint within the time allowed by law according to the method of service used. The fact that you couldn't find the case on ecourts doesn't mean much at this point. The case won't be entered on that website until after a RJI (Request for Judicial Intervention) is filed. Basically, you won't find it on ecourt until one side or the other asks the Court to do something about the case. That includes moving for a default judgment if you don't timely serve your Answer. You should seek a consultation with an attorney in your area as soon as possible.

I am not your attorney and any posts/messages or responses to posts/messages can not establish an attorney-client relationship. www.PatchogueAttorney.com You should not rely upon free legal advice and I disclaim any liability for the results if you do.

2. 1. It may not have been entered. What is filing date listed on the summons?
    2. You don't search by defendant name and index number - it is one of the other.
    3. Regardless of whether you find the Index on the OCA web site, be sure to get a lawyer to answer timely for you or do it yourself if you can't afford a lawyer. If this is something you have insurance for, notify your carrier right away.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 385-8015 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.