Independent Contractor Getting Run-Around from Company Re: Payment....What Can I Do??

Asked over 1 year ago - Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I have been doing transcription work for a law office (how ironic, huh?) for about several months now. Up until now, they have always paid me within 30 days (which is what I have on my invoices). Once, they were late on a payment and I sent them a fax with the invoice and they promptly paid me. Within the last 2 months they have not paid me. I have sent them reminder faxes and called their office and left their accounts payable messages (she never seems to be in) and now IDK what to do to obtain payment. I never had them sign a contract nor did they have me sign one, so I'm not sure if that gives them the right to do this to me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Carl H Starrett II

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree with attorney Schultz that a small claims action is probably necessary. However, you should also be prepared for the likelihood that they will no longer send you any work.

    First, the firm is a debt relief agency according to the U.S. Bankruptcy Code. We help people file for bankruptcy.... more
  2. Dana Howard Shultz

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . It appears that the law office is having financial problems.

    You can a small-claims action, even without a written agreement. Please see the post at the link below.

    Good luck!

    This information does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,125 answers this week

2,909 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,125 answers this week

2,909 attorneys answering