Incorrect nutrition label - public health concern/ gross negligence

Asked over 1 year ago - Fort Lauderdale, FL

In one of the best known supermarkets in Florida, I found 2 identical food items having different "nutrition contents" labels - the values mentioned for fat, sugar etc are different. Both the pieces are exactly the same item - from the same producer. I bought both the pieces. Now I am thinking whether the producer will be in a problem if I complain to the FDA? If I get in touch with the producer first, will they be willing to settle the matter without bringing FDA into picture?

1. John David Kelner

6

Answered . I have read your note and don't understand why this is a medical malpractice question. Were you harmed by any of the non-listed ingredients? If you are just pointing out the inaccuracies of labeling with no real injury, I don't know that any individual or class action suit would be appropriate. Consumer Reports has a 'back page' to point things like this out (usually about 5-7 per month).

I can't speak for anyone else, but without an injury, I don't know that I could bring any claim in medical negligence. Other attorneys with other specialities might be better equipped to answer your question.

2. David B Pittman

Pro

6

Answered . I don't see a legal question here. If it bothers you, you can report the discrepancy to the manufacturer , but I don't see any damages here.

Pro

7

1

Answered . Complain to FDA.

4. Josh P Tolin

Answered . As the other lawyers have mentioned, this is not a malpractice question . How have you been damaged? If you wish to get the FDA involved, feel free to complain.