Income level is below poverty line (I864)

Asked over 1 year ago - Manasquan, NJ

I am filing for GC through US citizen wife (she is my sponsor for I864) , her Gross income from recent two years is above 125 % but for Third recent year (2010 ) is below poverty line , Do we have to get some other sponsor ? or is that fine?

1. Eric M. Mark

Pro

1

Answered . My understanding is that only her current income must be above the poverty line. However, you will have to prove this to the satisfaction of uscis. Adjustment is a more complicated process than you may realize and you would be wise to consult with a lawyer before filing.

2. Simone Bertollini

Pro

1

Answered . If your wife will be still employed at the time of the interview, I am of the opinion that you will be fine. I believe that the filing of the third year tax return is optional.

3. J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.

Pro

2

Answered . She will need a cosponsor.

4. Yolanda Navarrete

Pro

Answered . I believe you will need a co-sponsor because you can't use your own income unless you were authorized to work.