Income level is below poverty line (I864)

Manasquan, NJ |

I am filing for GC through US citizen wife (she is my sponsor for I864) , her Gross income from recent two years is above 125 % but for Third recent year (2010 ) is below poverty line , Do we have to get some other sponsor ? or is that fine?

She will need a cosponsor.

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 www.MyImmigrationLawyer.info NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.

I read some where , that she only has to meet the income requirements for the recent year (2012) , is that true?

My understanding is that only her current income must be above the poverty line. However, you will have to prove this to the satisfaction of uscis. Adjustment is a more complicated process than you may realize and you would be wise to consult with a lawyer before filing.

my AGI for 2012 was $60,000 ... Our combined income for 2012 was $86,000. I think that way over the 125 % limit.

Eric M. Mark

Eric M. Mark

It is.

If your wife will be still employed at the time of the interview, I am of the opinion that you will be fine. I believe that the filing of the third year tax return is optional.

I believe you will need a co-sponsor because you can't use your own income unless you were authorized to work.

973-984-0800. Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.