Inappropriate behavior from a doctor. Called my husband's job and divulged my business. Can anything be done legally?

Asked over 1 year ago - Houston, TX

The dr. unbuttones & unzipped my pants with no one else present in the room. Would not give me test results without paying for them. Went back and paid but he refused to see me because the staff told him I was bad mouthing him. I wanted my money or results. He refused and called the police. No report was filed and I got my money back. He then called my husbands job and told them he used his job as a police officer to intimidate him. He refused to send my results to a new doctor for almost a month.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Carmine John Giardino

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . File a complaint with the Texas Medical Board. You can download a form from their website.

    If this answer was helpful to you or if it was the best answer, please click the buttons that state helpful and... more
  2. Evan Edward Pierce-Jones

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . A brief consultation with an attorney who handles lawsuits against doctors might be a good idea.

    If that lawyer also handles criminal defense work, so much the better.

    You need advice based on all the details and a full description of what happened and the context. Unfortunately, that is not possible on avvo.

    Complaints against physicians can also be made to the Texas Board of Medical Examiners.

    Answers on Avvo are for general information purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No... more
  3. Sandra G. Dawson

    Contributor Level 5


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Patient privacy is protected under HIPAA, which is a very complex area of law. I suggest that you consult with an attorney in your area to see what, if any, remedies are available for the disclosure.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,466 answers this week

3,070 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,466 answers this week

3,070 attorneys answering