In Wisconsin do I have to give the engagement ring back if my fiance broke it off?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Green Bay, WI

His mother and sister have contacted me and not in a nice way to give the ring back. Legally do I have to give him the ring back? He is threatening to sue me for it.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Teri M. Nelson


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Unfortunately, yes. Wisconsin has ruled that an engagement ring is a "conditional" gift with the condition being marriage. If the marriage does not occur, regardless of the reason, you are required to return it or pay him for the value. Sorry.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,141 answers this week

2,961 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,141 answers this week

2,961 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary