Skip to main content

In which court can I file a suit for trespassing on my prperty?

Oceanside, NY |

We read some information about trespassing. Had previously told someone a certain area was our property, then same individual dug up our land and edging and left it dirt and messy.
Have since placed a sign on the area.
We read about filing trespassing complaint in court rather than with the police. Which court in nassau is that and what are the steps/requirements?

Attorney Answers 2

  1. I'm going to edit the practice area of your post to "Lawsuits / Disputes" for better exposure.

    Ms. Berjis is licensed to practice law in the State of California. The laws of your jurisdiction may differ and thus this answer is for informational and educational purposes only and is not to be considered as legal advice. Since all facts are not addressed in the question, this answer could change depending on other significant and important facts. This answer in no way constitutes an attorney-client relationship.

  2. File in the court of general jurisdiction (not federal but state) in the county where the land is. You must sue the defendant that is trespassing. File a complaint that is written. A summons must be done, too. If you don't know how, hire a NY lawyer.