In Washington State does a landlord have to prorate rent if a tenant moves out early?

Tacoma, WA |
Filed under: Landlord-tenant

I am renting a room in my house with a month-to-month agreement. If my tenant gives a 20-day notice to move out, but then moves out early (say, he gives notice on the 10th and moves out on the 15th) must i prorate his rent or is he liable for the full month regardless?

there is no duty to pro rate rent in washington.

This answer is for informational purposes only and should not be construed to establish an attorney client relationship. Before taking any legal action, it is always advisable to discuss your specific situation with an attorney.

Except that if you have a new tenant move in early and pay the same rent, I think you have to return the overpaid rent to the tenant who left, because you can't collect rent twice for the same property at the same time.

Elizabeth Powell

Using Avvo does not form an attorney client relationship.

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant