In WA state can a father of an accidental pregnancy sign over his rights to the infant & not pay child support?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Vancouver, WA

No other person to adopt child. The parents have been friends for a few years & baby was not planned.. father wanted abortion but mother wouldn't so the father stated "all consequences are mothers" he does not want to be involved

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Dave Hawkins


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Not unless there is someone wiling to adopt the child. The Father does not have to be involved in the child's life but he will be paying child support -- no way around that. Parents have a statutory duty to financially support their children -- period. You simply cannot impregnate a woman, demand that she have an abortion and then ignore financial responsibility if the mother chooses not to have an abortion. Actions have consequences that both parents must accept.

    The information is for general information purposes only. Nothing stated above should be taken as legal advice for... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

19,727 answers this week

2,563 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

19,727 answers this week

2,563 attorneys answering