In WA State, how does contingency-fee work affect a claim for unemployment benefits?

Asked over 2 years ago - Tacoma, WA

I'm a newly unemployed professional in WA State. While I'm looking for a full-time job, a business has offered to engage me as an independent contractor. In short, the business would bill its clients for my work on an hourly basis, and it would pay me for my work if, "only if," and when the business' client pays *its* invoice. So, it's more like an hourly contingency fee arrangement than a wage or a fee that I know for certain that I'll collect.

If I work for the business under these terms, under WA law, how would it affect my weekly unemployment claim? Must I disclose my work at the time that I do it, even though I don't know whether or when I'll be paid for that work? If you could please direct me to legal authority that supports your analysis, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

1. John William Ladenburg

Answered . I don't have the legal authority at my hand, but I do know that Washington law requires you to report all income that you have while you are on unemployment. So, if you are doing this make sure you disclose this to the State.