In Virginia, can the government of any state take your only home for back child support?

Asked 4 months ago - Martinsville, VA

I live in Virginia and still owe some back child support in Florida. My mother wants to by me a house, if she does this and the house is in my name, can Florida take the house to pay off what I still owe? Could I put the house in both mine and my wife's name to prevent this?

1. Rixon Charles Rafter III

1

Answered . A fraudulent transfer of assets in order to avoid child support arrears could get you even in more trouble.

Yes, judgments from other states can he enforced in Virginia.

2. Michael Cleveland Daugherty

Pro

Answered . The Department of Child Support Enforcement can put a lien on a home and I agree with the previous attorney. I think the best course of action would be to have your mother give you a loan to pay the child support arrears off. Then you would no longer have to worry about issues such as this one.