In the State of Washington, can a probation officer tell you or force you to get a job?

Port Orchard, WA |

Also long as your making your monthly payments as required, can a probation officer force you to get a job?

1. Usually one of the conditions of probation is that the probationer be either gainfully employed or be enrolled as a student. I believe the answer to your question is yes.

2. In Florida, they certainly could- one of the probation conditions is that you be gainfully employed, or actively seeking employment, or become a full time student.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Florida. Responses are based solely on Florida law unless stated otherwise.

3. Why would you not want to get a job? Gainful employment is often a term of probation. Read you probation order carefully. If you want to impress your PO with you strong desire not to work, watch out down the road for more violations.

We do not have a client/attorney relationship until you make an appointment, we discuss your case face to face, I accept a retainer, and we explictly agree to enter into representation.

4. Yes, especially if you are in some type of program like Drug Court. Getting a job or at least attempting to get a job is a specific term of a Drug Court contract. It is not so much the Probation Officer personally, but rather the PO attempting to enforce the terms of a contract or a Judgement and Sentence.