In the state of Texas what is the age of consent?

El Paso, TX |

I was wandering the lowest/highest age an 18 year old can have relations with in Texas?

Both of the prior responses are correct. 17 years of age is the age of consent in Texas. Any lower and you could commit a crime. While you might beat the rap, you won't beat the ride, and you will have to prove that the contact was non-threat/violence as well as within the three years of age to be entitled to the defense. (You can't prove consensual contact because a person under the age of 17 years is below the age of consent as a matter of law.)

Answers provided on Avvo does not form an attorney-client relationship or indicate that the attorney represents or even will represent the client. Responses to questions are provided and based upon the facts as stated in the question. While attorneys attempt to make a complete and accurate response, there is no guaranty or warranty that the response is correct. You are encouraged to seek qualified counsel, licensed in the state(s) which have jurisdiction over the matters for advice. You are also encouraged to be careful as to your postings as the postings are not confidential.

Seventeen is the age of consent.

There is an affirmative defense if you sleep with someone within 36 months of your age (as long as the person is at least 14), but it's a defense. You could still be charged and arrested, you just have a defense to prosecution. So, stick with people your own age, at least 17, and you'll have no problems.

17 is age of consent and other attorney is correct regarding... being within 3 years age difference.

BEST ANSWER I got....and I hope I was HELPFUL! My answers do not establish an attorney/client relationship. Contact Steve Hamer at (214) 843-1529 for a FREE CONSULTATION.

State, local, and municipal law topics

Recommended articles about State, local, and municipal law