Skip to main content

In the state of SC do I HAVE to hire an attorney for child custody and termination of parental rights?

Charleston, SC |

Birth Father is willing to relinquish his rights in order for our son and agrees will consent to adoption. we are divorced, childs lived with me since birth>>>>>i could be here all day with all his " NOT BEING A FATHER"

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


I don't think that the Court will require you to hire an attorney but the Court will require that you file all proper paperwork and follow procedures correctly. Termination of rights, etc., involve serious rights so the courts want to make sure they are done correctly before terminating a parent's rights (and responsibilities).

If this answer was, in any way, helpful - please click a positive feedback below. This is a general discussion about legal questions and not a legal consultation. No attorney/client relationship exists. For a specific answer and advice on your specific legal matter, you should arrange a consultation with a practicing attorney.


That is a tough battle to take on with no formal training. You will waste more time and money trying to do it right (because inevitably you will not meet a certain burden). Try to pony up some money and hire a lawyer even if it is an inexperienced lawyer to help you. Check your local Craigslist under legal services for services. But short answer is no, you don't have to hire an attorney. Look for an adoption lawyer.


You don't have to hire an orthopedic surgeon to set a broken bone, either, but it's usually a good idea.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer