In the state of New Mexico is the bank account considered tangible or intangible in respect to a will ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Elyria, OH

I am the executor of my father in laws will in the state of New Mexico , ( I live in Ohio ) the will states that personal effects , household effects , automobiles and other tangible personal property be left to a designated person . Is the bank account considered tangible or intangible ?

1. William Joseph Reynolds

3

Answered . Take a look at this document http://jec.unm.edu/manuals-resources/manuals/20... - third paragraph down. As is the case here in Ohio (and everywhere else that I'm aware of) bank accounts are intangible property.

2. Kelly Scott Davis

Pro

2

Answered . The general rule is that if you can hold it in your hand, it's tangible. You should ask your attorney in New Mexico.

3. James P. Frederick

2

Answered . This is a great question. I would look to the terms of the Will for guidance. A probate attorney would be of great benefit to you in doing this. It *sounds* like the provision in question deals mostly with personal items that do not have title, (with the exception of the automobiles). Bank accounts would normally fall outside this description. A careful reading of the Will is called for, however.

James Frederick