In the state of Missouri is a landlord required to disclose to the tenants who the Owner or Property Management Company is?

Kansas City, MO |

I live at an apartment complex in Kansas City North that was purchased by someone else or another company. There have been MAJOR maintence issues and I called the apartment office and asked the manager if I could have corporates number or the next person higher up. But the door is automatically closed. There is no one else to speak to but this manager. It has been a year and we still don't know who purchased us or a phone number for higher up. Is this legal?

It is not illegal for them not to give you the information based on your question. The good news, is that you should be able to get this information very easily by checking with the Jackson County tax records or recorder of deeds to see who owns and pay taxes on the apartment complex. Then you can to the the Missouri Secretary of Sates office if it is an LLC or corporation to see who the managers or directors are. Hope this helps.

I have done that. But there is no way to find a number or anything to contact anyone. And the propery manager tells us that they will not be nice to us if we were to call them.

Josh P Tolin

Josh P Tolin

Is the property owned by a LLC, corporation, or individual? If it is one of the firs two, an LLC, or corporation, there are names of members or a registered agent. If it is an individual and you have address, there are many ways through google to find and do a reverse directory if you have a name and address.

when I look it up online at the recorder of deeds it states **** (there is a name there but don't want to put on a public forum) Partners. there is no LLC after. and when I google it there is no information at all. So I take it that I am needing to live with the living conditions until my lease is up no matter how bad it gets since I can not speak to anyone higher up than this leasing agent.

Josh P Tolin

Josh P Tolin

The problem you have is that I am assuming the lease indicates the management team is supposed to maintain property. Since they are not doing it, you have three options, get an attorney which costs money, live there until lease is out, or move. You could argue that they have constructively breached your lease by not maintaining the property, and if they keep your deposit, sue them in small claims court where you don't need an attorney. Hope this helps.

I have many things. Right now it's a situation of my heater being a hazard and code enforcement is due out this week. I have typed up a letter of all the situations from my heater, to an agressive dog that attack people and the owners not putting him on a leash, to no lights at night, to things being destroyed my the maintence crew and then it not being fixed, etc. I think maybe my letter and pictures will help me get out of the lease. thing is the apartment I found won't be ready until next week and my rent is due on the 1st. I can't afford to pay rent at both places. Do I give notice asking them to prorate my rent and let me out of the lease with out penalty or do I tell them I vacated the apartment and not pay the rent? I want to look good if I need to go to court.

Josh P Tolin

Josh P Tolin

It sounds like you documented everything. Try to get out of the lease, but don't be surprised when they say no. That way, like you said, you have been above board with them, notified them, and tried to work it out.

I have proof that they let another individual out of the lease for many of the same reasons that I will be providing to them. Thanks!

ok. any other ideas. the property sent out THIEIR contractor (who is relation to owner) and won't give permission to pick one out of phone book to come in. Their contractor says it's safe.

Yes, it is legal, but it's fairly easy to find out who owns the property. As my colleague mentioned, property tax and business incorporation information is public record and usually available online. You may not be able to find a person's NAME per se (though there will usually be an agent listed for service of process purposes) but you can find out enough to use Google to find contact information.

good luck.

I can be reached at (913) 735-9320. These answers do not constitute legal advice, because legal advice is paid for. These answers are, instead, practical suggestions for dealing with legal problems, and provided for informational purposes as a free public service. Any reliance thereupon is at your sole risk. Since suggestions to legal questions are usually fact-dependent; my answers are general and based on the facts as you describe them and necessarily includes assumptions. More specific answers can be provided only after researching the appropriate law and a comprehensive consultation in which all relevant facts are disclosed. The choice of a lawyer is an important decision and should not be based solely upon advertisements. Until both a retainer agreement is executed and we have a consultation, I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Moreover, I cannot be your attorney unless you are located in Missouri, the only state in which I am licensed. If you are not in Missouri, please consult an attorney in your state for assistance, as my advice may be incorrect or incomplete.

State, local, and municipal law topics