In the state of Missouri is a landlord required to disclose to the tenants who the Owner or Property Management Company is?

Kansas City, MO |

I live at an apartment complex in Kansas City North that was purchased by someone else or another company. There have been MAJOR maintence issues and I called the apartment office and asked the manager if I could have corporates number or the next person higher up. But the door is automatically closed. There is no one else to speak to but this manager. It has been a year and we still don't know who purchased us or a phone number for higher up. Is this legal?

1. It is not illegal for them not to give you the information based on your question. The good news, is that you should be able to get this information very easily by checking with the Jackson County tax records or recorder of deeds to see who owns and pay taxes on the apartment complex. Then you can to the the Missouri Secretary of Sates office if it is an LLC or corporation to see who the managers or directors are. Hope this helps.

2. Yes, it is legal, but it's fairly easy to find out who owns the property. As my colleague mentioned, property tax and business incorporation information is public record and usually available online. You may not be able to find a person's NAME per se (though there will usually be an agent listed for service of process purposes) but you can find out enough to use Google to find contact information.

good luck.

I can be reached at (913) 735-9320. These answers do not constitute legal advice, because legal advice is paid for. These answers are, instead, practical suggestions for dealing with legal problems, and provided for informational purposes as a free public service. Any reliance thereupon is at your sole risk. Since suggestions to legal questions are usually fact-dependent; my answers are general and based on the facts as you describe them and necessarily includes assumptions. More specific answers can be provided only after researching the appropriate law and a comprehensive consultation in which all relevant facts are disclosed. The choice of a lawyer is an important decision and should not be based solely upon advertisements. Until both a retainer agreement is executed and we have a consultation, I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Moreover, I cannot be your attorney unless you are located in Missouri, the only state in which I am licensed. If you are not in Missouri, please consult an attorney in your state for assistance, as my advice may be incorrect or incomplete.

State, local, and municipal law topics