In the state of KY, how long does the state have to indict?

Asked over 2 years ago - Lexington, KY

The person has been on an ankle bracelet for 60 days, no indictment.

1. Frank Mascagni III

Answered . There is no statute of limitations in KY in which to charge a felony offense. I presume from your post that the defendant was charged and arrested for a felony offense and the case is still pending in District Court. I further assume that as a condition of bond he is on the HIP program.

If he demands a probable cause hearing, the judge will grant his request within 20 days from his arrest, if out of custody, and schedule a hearing. At the hearing the case will be dismissed, reduced or waived to the Grand Jury for an Indictment. This person should direct this question to his attorney.

2. Harry Edward Hudson Jr

Answered . I would think the state is well within its time imits. However, you might want to ask the defendant's attorney just to be sure. If the defedant does not have an attorney, make arrangements to obtain one.

If this was helpful, please so indicate