In The State Of Georgia--Can A Bar Or Nightclub That Serves Alcohol Require That All Patrons Who Leave Submit To A Breathalyzer?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Grayson, GA

If the establishment has a breathalyzer vending machine, can they require all of their customers who are leaving the establishment to submit to a breathalyzer test to see whether or not they are fit enough to drive, and if not, can they require a cab be called for the customer?

1. Noah Howard Pines

Pro

3

Answered . The bar is simply trying to protect itself from being sued in case a patron leaves intoxicated and gets into a car accident.

2. Justin Spizman

Pro

3

Answered . I am not sure they can force you to do anything. However, it is in your best interest that they ensure you are safe to drive before leaving the establishment. IF you do not like that practice, perhaps try another bar.

3. Robert M. Gardner Jr.

Pro

1

Answered . No. All they could do would be to call the police to warn them that you left and are intoxicated, which would be bad news for you, and bad business for them. Any attempt to force you to stay could result in charges against them, even though they may or may not be doing the "right thing". The best thing for you in that situation is to get them to call you a cab and, if they are being pushy, make them pay for it. It's the least they could do for charging you a 300% markup for getting you to that point.

4. George F. Mccranie IV

Pro

1

Answered . I do NOT believe that you could be forced to pay for and take any vending machine breathalyzer test!!! If anything they could recommend it or say you should try it - But I am not aware of any law that allows a business to FORCE patrons to do ANYTHING!!! This may be suggested as a "good natured" attempt to keep their patrons safe. However, DO NOT RELY ON THE RESULTS OF A VENDING MACHINE BREATHALYZER!!! The official State Intox 5000 machines are not accurate and there is no way a VENDING MACHINE BREATHALYZER can give you an accurate reading!!! Basically, if you think you have had to much to drink - GET A FRIEND TO DRIVE YOU OR CALL A CAB!!!! I hope this information helps you.
    George McCranie IV www.mccranielawfirm.com