In the state of Florida, Is a notice required before a landlord takes possession of a commercial property?

Plantation, FL |
Filed under: Landlord-tenant law

We have always been on time with rent for the past 10yrs. This is our last months rent & since first, last & security was collected at signing 10yrs ago the landlord will not be getting what he expects.

1. Yes, notice is required. Self-help is never a good idea.

This is a summary based on incomplete facts. You should not rely on it as legal advise. No attorney-client relationship is intended to be formed. You may call me 772-562-4570; email me vblawyer@bellsouth.net, or visit my website http://www.millerlawoffices.us

2. Notice from the landlord is required if he/she is trying to evict you. It is a statutory prerequisite to filing a suit for eviction. If the landlord is simply taking possession after the natural expiration of the lease and you are vacating the property, then no, the landlord does not have to give you any notice. If you are stating that you paid for the last month rent when you first signed the lease agreement, then you should have some proof of payment, such as a cancelled check, receipt, or the lease agreement itself. If you anticipate the landlord not recognizing the fact that you already paid the last month rent, I would remind him/her and provide some proof of that payment.

The hiring of an attorney is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. Before you decide, ask us to send you free written information about our qualifications and experience. The information provided by this website is not intended, nor should it be construed, to be legal advice. Your use of this website, and/or the sending of information to the Fucillo Law Firm, P.L., does not establish an attorney/client relationship. Please do not send us any confidential or privileged information until such time that an actual attorney/client relationship is actually established.

3. Be sure to refer to the terms of your lease for the property. It should state that the first and last month of rent are due at signing. Do you have a record of payment of last month's rent 10 years ago? The lease should also state the terms of when and how the landlord can retake possession of the property. Generally speaking, the landlord is required to give notice prior to retaking possession.

I am licensed to practice law in the State of Florida only. My answers on Avvo.com are intended only to provide the most basic answers possible to questions posed and are not intended to provide legal advice in any way. Never depend solely on my answers or only on information provided on Avvo.com. Proper legal advice can only be given through in depth consultation with a licensed attorney. When seeking legal advice, always seek advice from an attorney licensed to practice law in your state. Every case is different and my answers here are not intended to serve as legal advice. By answering your question, I hope to provide you, the questioner, with a starting point for examining your legal issue. WARNING: Questions and answers posted on Avvo.com are viewable to the public and NOT protected by attorney client privilege.

Landlord-tenant law topics