Skip to main content

In the state of CT if you are violated and never informed of a warrent issued what happens.

Willimantic, CT |

assuming its a YO case and defendant is now over the age of 18

defenant has been stopped by law enforcement in multiple states,has retrieved his criminal records from the courts clerks office on numerous ocassions. leaving an almost 4 year gap between VOP and rearrest

Attorney Answers 3


For starters, the defendant needs to contact a lawyer immediately. A number of factors need to be considered, such as: the underlying conviction and sentence; the basis for the violation (i.e. failure to report, failure to perform a court ordered task, getting arrested for a new offence etc.); the reason for the delay in serving the warrant. Did the defendant move and leave no forwarding address? A lawyer can request the "warrant activity sheet" to determine what efforts were made to locate the defendant and where those efforts reasonable? VOP's are extremely easy for the State to prove so it would be in the defendant's best interests to contact an experienced criminal defense attorney ASAP. Also, unless good cause is found by the court a VOP hearing MUST be held within 120 days of the arrest.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

2 lawyers agree


Attorney Thygerson is spot on, and I completely agree with his advice.

I would not delay, as that will only cause more difficulty in solving the problem.

Good Luck

Attorney Bonanno's answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should carefully consider advice from an attorney hired and who has all facts necessary to properly advise a client, which is why these answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


Something does not seem right. As John said, our advice here can only be very general. John gave you the basic info about what will be important. Now it is time you spoke to someone in depth.

This is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. It is absolutely NOT legal advice that you should rely upon when making a decision. It is general information about the law in Connecticut. You need to consult with an attorney who will ask you all the facts necessary to give you specific legal advice for your situation.

Mark as helpful

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics