In the State of Connecticut, how long does an Executor have to file a will with probate court?

Asked about 1 year ago - Farmington, CT

I am wondering if there is a set amount of time in which an Executor/Executrix has to file a will with the appropriate probate court. My Father recently passed away and my step-mother, who I assume is the Executrix (although I cannot confirm that, as I have not yet been granted the opportunity to see the will), tells me she "got the ball rolling" last week, but I know she's not the most organized person and I'm worried important deadlines could be missed. Thank you for your time!

1. Jack Reardon

4

1

Answered . Under Connecticut law, any person in possession of the Will of a deceased person must file it with the appropriate Probate Court or deliver it to the named executor in the Will within 30 days of learning of the Testator's death. Failure to do so subjects the person to a fine of not more than one thousand dollars or imprisonment for not more than one year or both. See C.G.S. Sec. 45a-282.

2. Henry C. Weatherby

Pro

2

1

Answered . Attorney Reardon's answer is perfect. You could contact the the Probate court for Farmington and ask to find out if the will has been filed. The address andphone number for the Farmington Probate Court is Town Hall, One Monteith Drive, Farmington, CT 06032. Tel (860) 675 - 2360. If you are dissatisfied with what you find out you may want to speak with your step mother again. If you are still dissatisfied with what you find out, you probably should consider hiring an attorney to assist you with this matter.

3. Donald Joseph Quinn II

2

1

Answered . All states address this issue differently. I suggest you contact a local atty who can give you the correct answer for Conn.