In the state of Colorado is it legal for a car lot to sell me an "unsafe" vehicle even if its being sold in as is condition?

Loveland, CO |
Filed under: Used cars

Bought car 3 days ago, bought the warranty, the truck has no bolts holding the cab of the pickup onto the frame. Did buy it as is but is this different than being unsafe to drive?

Selling the car to you as is does not mean that they can sell you an unsafe vehicle. That is what CO Lemon Law provisions are meant to protect against. Contact the car dealer first and if you do nof get satisfactiob contact an attorney. Good luck

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in his legal services, feel free to call Chris at (303) 409-7635 at his law office in the Denver Tech Center. All initial consultations are free of charge.

The lemon law only applies to new cars. As Mr. Leroi explained, though, "as
is" does not include "death trap." If the dealer will not refund or make
safe, or work with you, call the Better Business Bureau, Tom Martino, or
the Attorney General's consumer protection division. If they cannot help,
you can probably get a lawyer to help. But, the BBB and attorney general
are the first places I would go.

Nelson Boyle
Carter Boyle LLC
36 Steele Street - #200
Denver, CO 80206
P: (303) 501-1825 | F: (303) 835-7100

Thank you for your confidence in our firm. Your satisfaction and referrals
are the key to our success.

The information contained in this e-mail transmission is confidential and
is protected by applicable law. Any unintended recipient of this message is
prohibited from reading or disclosing the information contained in this
transmission. If you have received this e-mail message in error, please
call (303) 501-1825.

Sent from my iPad.

This response is a general answer to your question and is not intended as constituting legal advice or creating a client-attorney relationship. Please read our full disclaimer here:

I agree generally with the two prior posts. I would add:

1- If you write the dealer first, you may not write a proper letter, so, I would contact a consumer protection atty who handles lemon law and auto fraud matters in your area, which should help you from the start. I recommend Rick Wynkoop, 4410 Yates Street, Denver, CO 80212, PH - 720-855-0451; for this purpose.
2- If you "bought" a warranty, it is likely a service contract, but, this may give you additional rights.
3- Even IF CO lemon law does not cover used vehicles, federal lemon law does.
4- This may not be a lemon law claim at all, but, instead a consumer fraud claim.

Contact Mr. Wynkoop's office now, you'll be glad you did and feel free to tell him I said hello.

Lemon law topics

Recommended articles about Lemon law