In the state of California, can a detention center/ jail/ prison keep an inmate past his/her release date?

Pacoima, CA |

My brother signed a plea bargain to be released 9/10/13 and to this date the detention center does not have a release date for him. They only show he is to do time in state prison. What happens if he is not released on 9/10/13??

1. the detention center doesn't always have or publish the correct release date. Your brother should check with the institution as to what date they have.

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia

2. If the deal is for him to be released tomorrow, what makes you think they won't release him? If they don't, contact his attorney. Good luck.

3. Credits must be earned and sometimes they are not so if the release date is based upon half time or a portion thereof, the release date may not be accurate. Have your brother contact the authorities to get an accurate release date. Good luck.

www.YourCriminalDefenseLawyer.com
    for Fairness & Your Freedom because sometimes good people find themselves in unpleasant situations
    (800) 409-7010

The response above is not intended as legal advice since it’s impracticable to provide thorough, accurate advice based upon the query without additional details. It is highly recommended that one should seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting. Moreover, this response does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship since this message is not a confidential communication because it was posted on a public website, thereby publicly disclosing the information, which is another reason to setup a confidential meeting with an attorney.

4. Your brother needs to ask when is his release date. It is possible that he may get out tomorrow and the fact that their system is not updated .