In the separation agreement does waiving past and present alimony, also stop future alimony once the child support ends?

Asked over 2 years ago - Haverhill, MA

With the new Massachusetts laws, I can only get child support for now and not alimony at same time. In the separation agreement it says both parties waive any and all claim against past and present alimony. Will this mean that once child support ends (in approx. 5 years), will I not get any alimony? I am in a long term marriage and State calculations say I should be entitled to 17 years (minus the child support years - so 12 addl. yrs of alimony)

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Elliot S Coren


    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Hi

    I disagree that you cannot get alimony along with child support under the new alimony law. Several judges have supported this view. I would need to look at your agreement and see all the language but it appears you did not waive future alimony. An important question is whether the issue of alimony merged into the judgment or remained an independent binding contract. The language in the agreement would indicate which.

    Steve Coren

    This answer does not consitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. The answer is... more
  2. Jessica M Walsh

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The new alimony law is just that, new, and at this point, the new law hasn't been sufficiently tested in court. I would consider finding a family law attorney who offers consultations and sit down with him or her and go over your separation agreement, your finances, and your long term goals. I agree that it is also important to carefully review whether the alimony provision in your agreement survived or merged.

  3. Thomas J Callahan

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The short answer is no, if future alimony was not waived, it is still a possibility after child support. However, the new alimony law has time limits on alimony, and even at a seminar with a panel of judges last week, there was uncertainty as to measuring that time when alimony waits for c.s. to end. Speak to an attorney about this.

    To questioners from West Virginia & New York: Although I am licensed to practice in your state, I practice on a... more
  4. Irwin M. Pollack


    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Since you specifically waived past and present, your lawyer should argue that you purposely left future alimony open. Additionally, when child support ends "economic dependency" will become an issue....something that you should be able to document. Finally, if the agreement did not survive (and merged), you may be able to go get some alimony now. Good luck.

  5. Daniel Seth Williams


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . New and substantial changes to laws are always difficult to even the most experienced family law attorneys. I would suggest you get several consultations with an attorney in your area to test the pulse of how people in the legal community feel.

    Attorney Williams practices FAMILY LAW throughout the State of California and may be reached at (831) 233-3558 and... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Alternatives to divorce

Divorce is not the only solution to marital difficulties. Marriage counseling, legal separation, or annulment are other alternatives.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,907 answers this week

3,577 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,907 answers this week

3,577 attorneys answering