In the separation agreement does waiving past and present alimony, also stop future alimony once the child support ends?

Asked about 2 years ago - Haverhill, MA

With the new Massachusetts laws, I can only get child support for now and not alimony at same time. In the separation agreement it says both parties waive any and all claim against past and present alimony. Will this mean that once child support ends (in approx. 5 years), will I not get any alimony? I am in a long term marriage and State calculations say I should be entitled to 17 years (minus the child support years - so 12 addl. yrs of alimony)

1. Elliot S Coren

Pro

8

Answered . Hi

I disagree that you cannot get alimony along with child support under the new alimony law. Several judges have supported this view. I would need to look at your agreement and see all the language but it appears you did not waive future alimony. An important question is whether the issue of alimony merged into the judgment or remained an independent binding contract. The language in the agreement would indicate which.

Steve Coren

2. Jessica M Walsh

3

Answered . The new alimony law is just that, new, and at this point, the new law hasn't been sufficiently tested in court. I would consider finding a family law attorney who offers consultations and sit down with him or her and go over your separation agreement, your finances, and your long term goals. I agree that it is also important to carefully review whether the alimony provision in your agreement survived or merged.

3. Thomas J Callahan

2

Answered . The short answer is no, if future alimony was not waived, it is still a possibility after child support. However, the new alimony law has time limits on alimony, and even at a seminar with a panel of judges last week, there was uncertainty as to measuring that time when alimony waits for c.s. to end. Speak to an attorney about this.

4. Irwin M. Pollack

Pro

1

Answered . Since you specifically waived past and present, your lawyer should argue that you purposely left future alimony open. Additionally, when child support ends "economic dependency" will become an issue....something that you should be able to document. Finally, if the agreement did not survive (and merged), you may be able to go get some alimony now. Good luck.

5. Daniel Seth Williams

Pro

2

Answered . New and substantial changes to laws are always difficult to even the most experienced family law attorneys. I would suggest you get several consultations with an attorney in your area to test the pulse of how people in the legal community feel.