In the property settlement of our divorce my ex-husband got the house in OR (we were CA residents)

Asked over 1 year ago - Long Beach, CA

He has never had me sign a quit claim or refinanced it to get my name off so as far as I know I still show on title and loan after 4 years. Is there any way to get the settlement overturned so that I am still the owner of half the house? Because this is still showing up on my credit report can I claim it as an asset and can I claim the interest on my taxes? Can a lien be put against it for a judgement against me?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Robert Pecco Baker

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . If the settlement agreement was signed delivered and partly performed you should honor it until you get the court to revise it. That is hard to do=click find a lawyer and good luck. Better to ask you ex to carry through on the title change or you will move to change the agreement on an equitable basis- it is on your credit report etc. If a lien is put on it--laugh

  2. Michael T Millar


    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . If the property settlement agreement provided that your ex had to refinance to remove your name from the mortgage, then you should go back to court to enforce the terms of your judgment. If he cannot refi, you could ask the court to order that the property be sold.

    If the property settlement agreement did not address the mortgage, you should call your divorce attorney to ask why.

    If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Divorce Decree

A divorce decree is the order a judge will issue that finalizes a divorce after proceedings have ended.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,991 answers this week

2,816 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,991 answers this week

2,816 attorneys answering