In the process of filing a New Jersey LLC...

Asked about 1 year ago - Ocean View, NJ

If i have a registered agent, do i have to list any of the members in the articles of formation? Also, if the business doesn't have a physical location, what address do i list on the formation documents with the state and for my FEIN when they ask "Physical Location of Business?" Can i put the address of my registered agent? THANK YOU!!

1. Frank Anthony Natoli

Pro

1

Answered . NJ will require the members to be listed.

You cannot use your registered agent address as your actual business address unless you are using your own or some other bona fide address. If your RA is a professional one, you will have to use your own address or acquire a virtual address or a proper business location. A "paid for" RA does not double as your business address, just to be clear.

I think you may want to consider discussing this with a legal advisor to make sure everything is handled correctly. These days setting up the entity is not a very expensive endeavor and there are now and will certainly will be later any number of legal considerations and you will appreciate having a relationship with someone that can help.

I will link you to some general info below and most of us here, including myself, offer a free phone consult.

Best regards,
    Frank
    Natoli-Lapin, LLC
    New York / New Jersey
    (see Disclaimer)

2. Ronald J Cappuccio

Pro

Answered . It sounds like you're using a service to file your limited liability company. First, in New Jersey you file a "certificate" of formation not "articles" of formation. Secondly, your business address should be the actual business address, not the address of the registered agent. Why do you have a separate registered agent if you already have a business office in New Jersey?

Also, the law has changed in New Jersey effective March 18, 2013. Unless you have an operating agreement that clarifies many of the issues, you may find that the LLC will be functioning differently than what you planned. Therefore, it's crucial speak with an attorney about the establishment of your business.

Ron Cappuccio
    www.LLCLawyer.com
    856-665-2121

No photo
    Posted about 1 year ago.

i don't have a business office. That's the crux of my question. I'm setting the LLC up for investment purposes and using someone else as the registered agent. That's why i'm asking about what to use as the "Physical Location of the business" if i don't have a physical business location.

Frank Anthony Natoli
    Frank Anthony Natoli, Business Attorney - New York, NY
    Posted about 1 year ago.

Your actual business address can be any address located anywhere. Only the RA needs to be a real NJ address. For example, you can use a post office box as a business address or your home address on a another state.

3. Fredrick P Niemann

Pro

Answered . Nj has a website that clearly spells out your obligations.Its user friendly and keyword based.Read it.