In the paperwork of my Fathers estate I have a court document "Disclaimer of Mike Smith", ...Mike Smith" hereby irrevocably...

Asked over 1 year ago - Seattle, WA

..waives any & all right & disclaims any & all interest which he may have by right of survivorship in the following account at ABC Bank Account number #123-4456. Said account has been held in the names of Tom Jones & Mike Smith as joint tentants with right of survivorship.The undersigned does not disclaim the right to recieve any interest in such funds under the Will of Tom Jones which Will is on file herein. Yut~ta~hey here..? Can someone Please put this in to English here for me...What's this mean?> What would be the reasons behind such a document?

If he didn't do the disclaimer he would of recieved the funds in the account by right of survivorship. He was the sole beneficiary of my Dads estate,so either way he recieves the funds. So why bother with the disclaimer @ all? How did doing the disclaimer benefit him?

1. Jennifer L King

7

Answered . "Mike" signed what is called a disclaimer. It means that Mike is stepping back as a person who would otherwise be entitled to receive the bank account automatically dispite what your father's Last Will and Testament says. Because of this disclaimer, the bank account would then pass as your father's Will directs. If your father provided for Mike (or a trust for his benefit) to receive something under his Will, then the disclaimer won't preclude him from receiving that bequest.

I hope that helps.

2. Justin Eric Elder

Pro

4

Answered . This is Mike Smith voluntarily giving up his ownership interest as a co-owner of the account so the money can be distributed according to Tom Jones' will.

3. Robert E. Millsap III

Answered . This does sound a little perplexing. Either way it seem that the funds would go to Smith. Probate counsel and he must have decided that there was some benefit to getting the funds through the will instead of outside the will. That is odd because counsel usually tries to do the opposite. Maybe there was some tax, solvency (non intervention powers) or creditor advantage for Mike Smith getting the property through the will. Without talking with Smith's counsel it is hard to say what they were accomplishing.

Possibly more importantly, how does it impact you? You did not mention if the legality impacts you in anyway or what interest you might have.

4. Adam B Peterson

1

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. It is impossible to know exactly their reason for signing the disclaimer. There is certainly a difference between the two scenarios. While Mike was on the account he had a current interest in the account as well as a right of survivorship. Once he disclaimed that interest, he no longer had any current interest in that account. The estate planning that was in place would then govern the distribution of the assets. There are also potential tax reasons, in particular a step up in basis, that may have spurred the change.